Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Reading Recommendations of a 10 Year Old

Joshua Stephenson's Top 15 Favorites:
(as emailed to his mother last night)

1 Harry Potter: Series of 7 Author J.K. Rowling
2 Fablehaven: Series of 5 Author Brandon Mull
3 Deltora Quest: Series of 8 Author Emily Rodda
4 Dragon Series: Series of 4 Author Chris D'Lacey
5 Magic Tree House: Growing Series Current Amount 42 Author Mary Pope Osborne
6 Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Series of 3 Author Jeff Kinney
7 Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh: not a series Author Robert C O'Brien
8 Rangers Apprentice: series of 5 or 6 Author John Flanagan
9 Percy Jackson and the Olympians: series of 5 Author Rick Riordan
10 Ghost Letters: not a series Author Steven Alter
11 The Gideon Trilogy: series of 3 Author Linda Buckley-Archer
12 Junie B. Jones: series of 27Author Barbara Park
13 Eragon: series of 3 Author Christopher Paolini
14 A Series of Unfortunate Events: series of 14 Author Lemony Snickett
15: The Homework Machine: not a series Author Dan Gutman

6 comments:

  1. Our son is has read a good chunk of this. He's on the fourth Fablehaven right now, and he loved the Wimpy Kid books. I thought the Rangers Apprentice books looked good, too. I'll have to get them for Son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what he said. He's making his way through Harry Potter on his own...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive. Will need to try some of these for my 8 yr old--he needs something to read to fill the void of HP. We are almost finished with the series. But I'm hoping for something a little less complicated but also engaging so I can get out of the reading every day loop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems there is much more fantastical reading around than when I was a kid, but perhaps I just never saw any of it. My favorites were about dogs, kid detectives, or wild adventure. I still enjoy the odd ripping yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list, thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! wonderful list. I find my way back to kid books here and there, even though my kids are all gone and the grandkids are still pretty young. It's refreshing and absorbing, and reminds me of when I was a kid reading the books I loved.

    ReplyDelete