Monday, July 6, 2009

Measuring Time

My life is measured in semesters. And within each semester it is measured according to what week of the semester it is, where I am in my curriculum, where I am in my grading, and what holidays are coming up. Without such measurement, I have no idea how to keep track of time. For the first time in 24 semesters, I am not teaching and it feels as though I'm living in a time warp. While I have given up on trying to know what day of the week it is, I do need some way of measuring time this summer, so I've established the following system:
  • number of pages read
  • number of miles walked (and then hopefully run if my stomach heals enough from surgery to resume running this summer)
  • number of words written for the sheer pleasure of writing
  • number of points earned on Guitar Hero
  • number of hours spent in the sun
  • number of episodes of Star Trek (original series) viewed
  • number of movies viewed on the Netflix queue
  • number of days sleeping in past 8:00

1 comment:

  1. Not teaching in the summer--esp. if you haven't done it for years--is disorienting, and summer time is different than other seasons. It just is. I like your measures. When I was a kid and we were moving from Tucson to L.A., we lived for 6 weeks in a motel (!) in Lomita, CA. We measured time by sitcoms and game shows. I can't imagine how my mom measured the time, however!

    ReplyDelete