Sunday, November 1, 2009

Among the Labels and Comments that Really Annoy Me

We say: working mother
We do not say: working father

We say: stay at home mom
We do not stay: stay at home dad

We say: housewife
We do not say: househusband

We say: tomboy
We do not say: tomgirl? tinagirl? ???

They say to her: Do you work outside the home?
They do not say to him: Do you work outside the home?

They say to her: I don't know how you do it--having all those kids AND a job.
They do not say to him: I don't know how you do it--having all those kids AND a job.

They say to her: How do you keep up with the house and the kids and your work?
They do not say to him: How do you keep up with the house and the kid and your work?

They say to her: Your house is a mess. Maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities.
They do not say to him: Your house is a mess. Maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities.

They say to her: You could always put your career on hold until the kids grow up. Work will always be there; your children won't.
They do not say to him: You could always put your career on hold until the kids grow up. Work will always be there; your children won't.

They say to him: How wonderful that you do some of the housework!
They do not say to her: How wonderful that you do some of the housework!

They say to him: That is so great that you help your wife with the cooking.
They do not say to her: That is so great that you help your husband with the cooking.

They say to him: It's so great that you spend so much time with your kids.
They do not say to her: It's so great that you spend so much time with your kids.

They say to him: Your wife is going out of town? You're going to need some help. You can't be expected to take care of everything at home all alone when you're so busy with work.
They do not say to her: Your husband is going out of town? You're going to need some help. You can't be expected to take care of everything at home all alone when you're so busy with work.

She says: Mom, I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm a boy because I'm wearing an army costume.
She says: Girls are in the army too honey; people just forget that.

She says: I don't want to be called a tomboy anymore. I'm a girl.
She says: I know honey. You are a girl, not a tomboy.

She says: Why does everyone call me a tomboy just cuz I like playing outside and playing wild and stuff?
She says: They just don't know what they're talking about. Girls can like playing outside and being wild and stuff.

She says: Why did they give me this stupid little teddy bear in my happy meal instead of a bakugan like they gave the boys?
She says: We can trade it. You can have the toy that you want.

She says: Why can't girls do all the things that boys do and still be called girls?
She says: They can. You do what you want. You be what you want. Don't listen to what anyone says about you, except YOU.

She says: But that's really hard sometimes mom. Sometimes everyone hurts my feelings about it and makes me feel bad about myself.
She says: I know, honey. I know.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel you, my sister. It's bad enough when it's you, but when it's your daughter, mmm! It's enough to make you feel murderous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This represents most of my life. But it is harder when it's your daughter. Good thing she is so intelligent! :) Either way, it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been lamenting certain aspects of societal bias towards women recently, too. When my daughter gets down on herself, I tell her she needs to put "quarters in her gumball machine." She has a thing for gumball machines. I tell her our mind is just like a gumball machine, and if we stuff garbage into it, we won't get what we want to come out of it. On good days, this seems to work. On bad days, I just have to hope tomorrow will bring her a fresh perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this. All these things are on my mind now, waiting for my daughter to arrive.

    ReplyDelete