Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Very Delayed Update on the 3rd Grade Declaration

As the 3rd grader tells it to me secretly, in his room, after school:

"So I finally did it Mom. At recess I told her that I had something I wanted to give her and asked her to hang around the classroom after school after everyone else left. She asked me what it was, and I told her it was a late Valentine's present, but that I couldn't bring it to the party because I didn't have a big present for everyone and that wouldn't have been fair to give her a big present and everyone else just a card, which is also why we should wait until after school when everyone is gone. She said 'ok'.

Well the problem after school was that those two troublemakers, Elliot and Aiden, had detention and had to stay in the classroom. Of all the people who could be around when was doing this, those two boneheads are the ones I would want LEAST OF ALL. But it turned out ok because they were busy cleaning desks and talking about bloody snowboarding accidents, so they didn't even notice us.

I gave her the Shakespeare book--because I know how much she loves Shakespeare--but I told her to read the card at home. And when she saw the book she blushed. She blushed a lot. That's a good thing, right? Then she hugged me and said 'thank you very much'. Then we went outside. That's it."

---------

"So it was good?" I ask.

"Yeah. It was fine. Except I still don't know why she blushed so much. What does that mean, Mom, when a girl blushes like that."

"Ummm....it means she was really surprised by such a wonderful gift. I'm sure she loves it."

------------

The day after--you know, after she had read the card--she said "thank you so much" again.

They continue to play together at recess.

Life is good.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, could there even be a better outcome? They still play together at recess?

    Life IS good.

    This story makes me so happy. What a sweet boy and, it sounds like, a sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS a good thing. Well done, young man. I may have to steal some of your techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I was worried.
    But I am glad they are playing together at recess. Now, is he going to quiz her on the Shakespeare to make sure she's reading it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the questions about blushing--a very observant boy you have.

    ReplyDelete